Monday, May 31, 2010

The first name done!


It took me forever and a half to decide what to do for the names threadwise. Mostly because the threads I picked when I started are silk Dinky Dyes and I was now questioning whether I'd have enough of it to finish and have some left for future names - without running into dye lot issues.

I finally ordered a bunch more of the color I wanted to use for the lowercase letters and good thing I did - the color that Mother's Tree is stitched in and the color that is the lowercase letters are really the same color - just two different dye lots. I love the Dinky Dyes threads, but it is something you really have to have all of the color on hand before you start (which I knew, but I misjudged how much I'd need). Anyway, I think I have plenty of threads in matching dyelot to finish now and I think I'll leave Mother's Tree in the different dyelot as it is still in the same color family and I think it looks good being a little different than the rest of the lettering. I have 8 more names to stitch (provided I finish before Katie starts having kids!).

10 comments:

Silverlotus said...

Great start! And you are so right about the Dinky Dyes. I ran into the same problem with a project I'm working on.

I still need to chart out the names for my Mother's Tree. I'll be the last person, but I keep hoping I will find one more great-great-etc to add at the top.

Alice said...

It is hard to estimate exact amounts of floss needed. It is too bad that the colours can vary that much between dye lots! It is looking very handsome though.

Kathy A. said...

Oh Jenn - how beautiful that is. What a wonderful heirloom it will be when don.

Cheryl said...

I know the color of which you speak. IIRC, Jo had a particular issue with one of the dyes used for it being discontinued. So that made it even more subject to dye lot differences. I like the way you solved it and think it is looking lovely!

Aussie Stitcher said...

It is looking great Jenn, and being able to trace so many generations is amazing.

Suzanne said...

Lovely start!!

AnnMcD said...

1791 is where I started also.. I just love this piece especailly since it is the only picture in my Mom's home that she took with her when she went in the nursing home in 1998. She died in 2001 and I now have it. You are lucky to have a daughter to pass it on to. I did enjoy the stitch and appreciated all the work my uncle did to find my ancestors.

Tama said...

It looks gorgeous - I did this one last year, it was so much fun :D Well, AFTER the tree was done...

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

It's amazing, Jenny, how far back you have been able to go. On my mother's side, I could only go back as far as my grandmother. I guess I should ask my mum or my aunts if any of them can fill in the names...

shelleyfaythe said...

where are you jen? i have missed your updates.