Monday, August 22, 2005

My Box :)



About 10 days ago now I found a box at Goodwill that would work perfectly for stitching something for the top. Since then I've been obsessed with stitching and completing this box. It was a lot of fun! :)

First I needed to pick the right pattern to stitch. After considering a few other options, I remembered Just Nan's Common Ground. I have been wanting to start this pattern for awhile, but didn't really want to add another large piece into my already large pile of WIPs. The top inner band was perfect - and the best part of the design in my opinion. This would satisfy my wanting to do the pattern and make it a small, quick, design rather than a large time-intensive one.

I stitched it on a piece of ivory 40ct linen that had been languishing in my stash for years. I knew it would be perfect for something one day - today was the day. I had some left over silks in my stash from when I stitched Indigo Rose's "My Son" a few years back. Some of the colors were similiar enough to the ones used in the design to substitute so I did. :) The text and the border around the text are Au Ver Soie silks. And the satin stitched outer border is Slate Waterlilies which I just happened to have in my stash.

I finished the inside of the box with some blue tafetta I had left over from when I finished the inside of my scissorcase several years ago. Now they match! I think I'll keep the scissorcase in there and the box next to my stitching chair to hold odd bobbins, spools, and stuff I'm working with at the time. There is no tight clasp (I might find one for it later) so I'll have to keep it up though when Katie is about.

Funny the little things we get all excited about - huh? This little box was so much fun and I used all stuff I had on hand except for the box itself which was $.99 at Goodwill and the glass I put in the top which I had to have cut to fit the opening for $2.30. Pretty good entertainment for 10 days for $3.29.

No comments: