Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Interview

Today was my interview for the "Documentation Analyst" position that was very similar to my last job. I think it went pretty well. I felt pretty good about the answers I gave to all the questions even though some were pretty tough. Several were geared toward figuring out whether I worked well with others, had a professional attitude, could resolve conflict, etc. I was a little surprised by that, but I think I answered okay. They asked things like, "Describe a time at work when you were angry, and how you handled the situation." and "Describe a good co-worker." "Describe a good boss." "Describe a bad co-worker, and a bad boss." They also asked a lot of questions about how things were done at my previous job which made me a little nervous. Not so much because I felt my answers would be inadequate, but more because I felt like it was a fishing expedition for information on my previous company. My previous company and this company often compete for employees. It isn't as though I feel an immense sense of loyalty to my old company (on the contrary!), it just didn't feel right.

I did also have to take a writing test as I expected. No biggee though. I had a list of topics to choose from and just had to write a procedure on one of them. Some of the topics were, How to attach a button, How to hang a picture, How to buy a can of soda from the vending machine, and a bunch of others I can't remember. I chose How to hang a picture. I'm sure I did fine with that, I've written procedures a bazillion times at my old job so I have the format and lingo down.

I did get the sense though that they were interviewing several people for one position. That is what they said, and there was a form left in the room I took the writing test that was the same as the one they had given me to take the test. It was obviously from someone else who had taken the same test before me. I guess I feel I did well, but it will really come down to whether someone else did better. The earliest I'll hear anything is Monday as the HR person handling this position is out tomorrow.

On an entirely different note, I've been working on my Mira RR again today. I have the hair and the face almost done for my section. I think I mentioned before that I'm stitching "Mother's Arms" (or part of her anyway). I was originally going to do the background around her too, but now I'm thinking I'll leave that off as it is mostly just filled in with a few shades of blue. I think she'll look just as nice on the hand-dyed fabric without all the fill-in. Also I think it likely that most of the other ladies that are eventually stitched on the piece will not have background and I don't want it to look too different from the others.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like the interview went well. Those questions they asked you would have made me very flustered. I'm never prepared for things like that! I read that in an interview you're always supposed to be positive and not speak badly about your previous company, etc. That would be hard to do with the questions they asked you! I'm sure you did great :)

Autumn said...

Sounds like you did good to me!

On the RR, I have my layout planned, and I'm copying your layout, and I have my border planned, I'm copying Ruth's OTRR border, so now I just need to pick colors. I'm so original huh?

I'm going to this fabulous store tomorrow that has a ton of thread, so I'm going play and pick out all my colors.

mainely stitching said...

Good luck with the job stuff - I now work 2 days a week at the office and the kids (almost 2 and almost 3) LOVE daycare. I stayed home with both of them, and then took them to the office with me, and basically slowly grew into the working-away-from-home scene and we are all happy with it. Just give yourself some time to get used to the changes.